Friday, February 15, 2008

Be Illuminating
















Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor, Maine is probably one of my most favorite places on the planet. Jim and I woke before dawn last August, trecked up the mountain and sat in silence as the sun rose above the most eastern part of the United States. It was pretty chilly and thankfully, we brought a blanket to keep us warm. We were together in that moment which almost didn't happen.


The morning before we attempted to take the same treck and when the alarm clock went off at 4:30, I lept from the bed, smacked down the clock and said "not today"! Jim just smiled and back off to sleep we went. After all, we were on vacation and had no schedule to keep but our own.
What a waste in retrospect. Sleep, in the face of such beauty and mystery, is selfish and oh so human. But the sunrise...now that was spiritual. Mindblowing even.







It would've been such a pity if we had missed it.
We cannot wait to go back. I cannot wait to get up at 4:30 in the very cold morning, hike up the mountain (well, we actually drive up since it is a huge mountain), and sit and wait for the miracle that is a sunrise.
It represents everything we are or have the capacity to be. Every day it's light. Every day it's warm. Every day it's life giving. Every day it's there, even if we can't see it or feel it.
Lately, I've been under the weather emotionally, physically and spiritually as well. Life and it's darkness overtakes my very soul and I 'forget' to remember that every day is a new beginning, a new opportunity to grab a hold of myself, shake off the dust and be illuminating.
Today I am grateful for the light that shines so brightly defining every nook and cranny that is my life. My life, in all of it's glory is a gift, even if I am sick and tired.
Somedays it's okay to hit the snooze button and some days, it's just not.

No comments: