Friday, February 22, 2008

God Bless America


Okay, so yesterday's blog posting was a poem I wrote on 9/11 2004. It's a little dated but somehow still appropriate. I am so angry at this leader. I never was a George Bush fan. Yesterday was no different.

I started working on Wall Street when I was 17 years old, right out of high school. I travelled through the World Trade Center every single day of my life on my way to my office. I loved the city. I loved downtown Manhattan. I loved the WTC buildings and having lunch everyday in their shadows. Taking the elevator up to the observation tower took a really long time. There was a certain swooshing sound that the elevator would make because it was moving so efficiently fast. When the doors opened and you got a glimpse of the entire city of Manhattan (a 360 degree view), the Empire State Building, Battery Park, the Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, New Jersey, the Hudson River.....it was majestic to say the least.

Of course, we all know that America was attacked by terrorists and my beloved WTC buildings were brought down in less than a couple of hours. I can still remember the sound of my voice screaming as I watched it on the news from the safety of middle suburbia in New Jersey. Thousands of dedicated workers that morning were not so lucky. They perished along with the stability that was our nation.

When I saw those planes flying into my buildings I realized that I had seen it before. It was sickeningly familiar to me...you see, I had had a nightmare that the WTC buildings were collapsing one night. I dreamt that I was cowering on a stairwell in the building. I was acutely aware of the fact that the building was going to come down. I ran and I ran down the stairs and outside and as I bolted away from the falling towers, the whole time I was looking over my shoulder at the impending doom. That was the most frightening nightmare I had ever had in my life. Until I had witnessed it first hand on ABC news.

Last night Hillary and Barack had their debate. Isn't it ironic that the first female presidential candidate should also have to contend with the first black male presidential candidate. This is a good thing. America is FINALLY open to considering two minorities for the presidential candidacy. I am a Hillary fan, although Baracks position is not that far off.

I distinctly remember when the Clinton's came to Wall Street campaigning for the American vote. Wall Street echoed with the sounds of Fleetwood Macs' 'Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow'. The streets were filled with cheers and laughter with the WTC buildings in the background. I knew he would win. His spirit was true. He cared about the people of America and the world at large. And yes, the Monica Lewinsky situation was inappropriate...but to impeach him? No way. That should've been saved for this administration.

Personally, I would love to see Hillary in the White House. She managed to keep her family together through the presidency and Bill's infidelity. That was his only crime. Sure, it was a whopper. But it was up to Hillary to forgive him, not the American people. I forgave him. I loved what he stood for as a leader. I love the fact that he is standing behind Hillary and perhaps a second go around for this leadership is what America needs to finally begin the healing process for real.

We did the Bush thing twice and twice we suffered. We are suffering. I am a proud American, but I have a very hard time swallowing the Bush Administrations debt that they'll leave behind, their war, their casualties, the hole that was once my beloved backyard. That's what I called it for years....the WTC was my backyard and then some. Now it's just a vacant hole filled with ghostly spirits of those trying to find their way home.
Don't stop thinking about tomorrow? Okay, but let us never forget yesterday.
God bless America.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Powerful stuff Maria.

I need not add any more.

God bless.