Monday, March 23, 2009

Sleep Like A Baby

My back has been acting very cranky lately. It could be because I've been doing too much Spring cleaning but it's definitely not because I've been working out too much.

I went to the chiropractor for several adjustments only to be told to 'stop working out for now' and 'if it doesn't improve, we'll send you for x-rays'.

Well, that got my attention.

So after a couple of weeks of being in agony and trying the chiropractic way, I pushed myself into real action.

I've taken several hot Reiki baths with salt. I've changed my pillow. I meditated stretched, did yoga and some weight training.

And you know what?

BIG improvement.

I realized I was solidifying the Dr.'s report and undermining my own recovery. I could feel a nerve pinching in my arm - well over the shoulder and down my arm. It was making me very upper-body weak mentally and physically. His report only made it worse.

The first push up I tried to do was excruciating...but after a few minor adjustments (no chiropractic pun intended) I can now do 3 sets of 10 without wincing.

Yoga, meditation and Reiki today were amazing. I could feel energy blockages releasing. I could hear vertebrae taking their rightful positions. In my minds eye I could see health and my body started to respond.

The more I did, the better I felt.

I REFUSE to go for an x-ray for my spine. It's just not necessary.

What is necessary is a change in attitude.

Every night I'm doing self Reiki. Every day I'm working out. Every day I'm expecting positive results.

So far, so good.

No x-ray for me today. Nope.

Just yoga, Reiki and positive expectations.

I will not go quietly into the night. But I will sleep like a baby.

2 comments:

Lisa Sargese said...

Is it possible that the chiropractors help AND what you finally did for yourself gave you relief?

Maria Lynn Gattuso said...

Anything is possible. I did however, leave his office with the same pinched nerve I went in with...and what got me in his office and what will ultimately keep me out of his office is physical activity of the deliberate kind....yoga, dance, stretching, shoulder work with weights, push ups (all the things he told me NOT to do) and of course Reiki. Our bodies are resilient and respond to training in the long term and in my opinion better than any short term adjustment. Besides, any time we can make our core stronger (belly & back) the benefits to the rest of the body are almost immediate. Stress that otherwise would be on your shoulders somehow lessens when our core is strengthened.