Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Dentist, Qi and Reiki


Yesterday I went to the dentist for what I thought was going to be a pretty routine visit. He was working on finishing some prep work for a porcelain crown but the tooth had become pretty problematic with the nerve being quite hypersensitive.

While taking my last trip recently I realized that the pressure of high elevation aggravated this problem and the tooth calcified somewhat to avoid the pain. Did you know that our teeth can do that? We have a tremendous ability to heal ourselves, but I digress.

Yesterday turned into one of the longest days in the dentist's chair that I can ever recall. The first two hours consisted of getting approximately 7 shots of Novocaine that didn't take.

That's right.

Seven shots that didn't take in two hours.

The nerve pressure was overriding all of his efforts to numb the tooth.

Add to that the fact that I am asthmatic and the drugs he can use on me become limited.

I became quite nervous and upset. Hot tears ran down my face when I realized that I needed even more shots. Also, a root canal takes at least two visits and since I am taking a flight later on in the week, he needed to finish it in one day or getting on the plane would be excruciating.

I had to calm myself down.

We've discussed this in past. I seem to "eat up" the anesthesia right there in the chair from nerves. I mean, who really enjoys going to the dentist? I can not stand it and I tell him that plainly.

We get a chuckle or two out of my dismay - but seriously - it freaks me out.

At one point he suggested I take some deep breaths while tilting my head to one side - the side of the nerve pain - to let the anesthetic work better.

He suggested I meditate. I told him that I do meditate although I hadn't since sitting in his chair.

I started to calm myself down and also began some Reiki on myself. I began drawing the power symbol on the roof of my mouth with my tongue and then taking my tongue and drawing it on the tooth itself. I sent all the healing energy that I have inside myself to my tooth.

It had an amazing affect.

The next time he checked me by blowing cold air on my tooth - FINALLY, I felt only some slight pressure.

I continued sending myself Reiki for the next hour and a half while he finished prepping my tooth for the root canal. He got the root out and then the bleeding would not stop.

Green tea and Vitamin E are blood thinners. Two things I take on a regular basis. I couldn't believe he said the bleeding wouldn't stop - it was my own fault. I should not have taken them prior to my visit. I should have stopped taking them a week ago but it had completely slipped my mind. I don't really associate bleeding with the dentist - again, my fault.

That being said, it had been over four hours sitting in his chair. Now the bleeding. So, he sent me home for an hour - he did have other patients to see.

I went home for an hour AND HAD TO GO BACK! The bleeding prevented him from finishing what he started.

After an hour of sitting in my office chair staring out the window, I reluctantly went back to his office for Round Two...when it really felt like Round Twenty Two.
I was exhausted.

This time, no anesthetic....I mean the nerves were out so I shouldn't feel any pain right? Wrong!

With Reiki on my mind and tears in my eyes he finished his procedure while I endured some more pain. It wasn't that bad at that point, I think my spirit was more hurt than my tooth.

Suffice to say, I am on antibiotics and Advil's around the clock now hoping the swelling in my face goes down. I woke up at 5:30 am to excruciating pain.

Off to the medicine cabinet for more Advil, more Reiki symbol signing on my tooth with my tongue and back off to sleep I went.

I have A MILLION things to do today...since yesterday's chores went unattended so I really have to sign off but not before a reality check....

...how lucky am I to be able to go to the dentist?

So many people on this planet are suffering without the funds to eat let alone take care of their many illnesses. I am not complaining. Today's blog is about my humanity and my sometime suffering - but this too shall pass.

But not before I tell you how very grateful I am.

In a few days, I will not be able to tell you how awful it was. Sure I'll have this blog to remind me...but what I really want to remember is my gratitude. I say that my dentist is a really pain in my tooth - but what he really is, is a healer. He was a gentle as he could be. He was as patient as he could be especially with a teary, scared child-like woman in his chair for umpteen hours. He did all that he could do for me and yes, he gets paid quite handsomely, but I'm the luckiest girl in the world to be able to go and get my teeth fixed so that I can chew my food and sustain my body.

I am also so very grateful for my spiritual walk that has brought Reiki into my life for times like these. Qi - or energy - is alive and well in every single living thing and when you focus on it and call it to service, it never lets you down.

Thanks to my dentist Dr. D., Namaste to Dr. Usui - the founder of Reiki and I can't forget my teacher Jane Berrigan who taught Reiki to me www.balanceandflow.com. I am eternally grateful to you all, to be alive, and well, channeling some serious energy.

Qigong: The Ancient Art of Self Healing





4 comments:

Lisa Sargese said...

What's that saying, "Healer, heal thyself" ? I'm so glad you were able to surrender to the much needed medicine and tooth maneuvers. You are so smart to realize that we tell our bodies what to do. I'm learning right along with you sister! Get rest. Be well. <3

Lisa Sargese said...

Please announce to your readers, your Reikis and other:

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:30 - 8:30
31 Gladding Road
Caldwell, NJ 07006

Reiki & Past Trauma
as presented by Reiki Master Maria L. Pomponio

Susan Skalsky for Esmilda Abreu
973-226-5311
$5.00 Donation



Thank you for posting the following information.


SUSAN SKALSKY, MD
Hypnotic Transformations, Inc
Certified Hypnotherapist
31 Gladding Road
Caldwell, NJ 07006-5804
973-226-5311 (fax) 973-403-9461
earthdoc@verizon.net

Niall young said...

you poor love..it's a terrible thing to be in such a sitiuation. I had something similar when had to undergo root canal...novocain shots seemed useless.I rembered a quote from the science fiction novel 'Dune'It goes something like this...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

This is called The Bene Gesserit Litany against Fear. Itis from a work of fiction, but helps me often to face things...and it helped me in the dentists.

Unknown said...

Hello- I know this post is from quite some time ago but I was just wondering if you had heard of or tried EFT? I use Emotional Freeing Technique quite a lot and it, plus Reiki (I'm second level) are an unbeatable combination for fear and pain.
I hope all your tooth traumas are forever behind you!
Namaste.