Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Remember Fun?




We finally got out to play 18 glorious holes of golf on Saturday. First time this year. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, partly cloudy, partly sunny. The course was perfectly manicured and probably the nicest course Jim and me have ever played on here in New Jersey.




It was me and three guys. Pretty typical when talking about golf. I don't know many women who play. I think only one. Lee Spencer, Senior Nascar Writer for Fox Sports . She and her husband Reid have invited us to play in Pocono, PA this summer when the race roles around. Can not wait. But, besides Lee, I'm the only she.




It's great playing with the guys. I've always been a tomboy so I can compete with the best of them.




They, on the other hand, thought it best to give me advice just about every time I got up to tee off. I think we were on the third of fourth tee when I got into position 'addressing the ball' as Norton would say from the Honeymooners when all three of them chimed in "keep your head down", "keep your eye on the ball", and last but not least "make sure you swing hard and follow through"...that's when I looked up at them smiling and laughing and told them all to shut the hell up! It was hysterical. They caught themselves and calmed down and let me hit the ball. All four of us wound up within a few feet of one another in the middle of that fairway. I held my own.




The best part of the day though, was not getting upset. Golf can be infuriating. I told myself before we went out that no matter what I was going to enjoy myself and not fret over losing a ball or missing a shot or any of it. And, I didn't. I laughed when I missed the shot. I just got another ball when I lost one (I think I lost three all day). I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I believe I am the better for it.




I heard a rumor a few other friends are taking an interest in golf and we might be going to the range together soon to hit a few....yayyyyyy! golf + summer = maria having fun!!!




Be well and go have some fun would ya?








No comments: