Friday, April 4, 2008

What Wonders in This Life - Part I

Look at this creature we've named Mohito. The minute she gets outside she rolls around in any dust that's accumulated on the ground. She gets absolutely filthy removing every trace of domestication from her fur and she loves it. It's all about the scent with her and my other cats. Scent and territory.






How dirty does she get? You decide...





Mohito is very sociable. She is a lover and a nuzzler. She sleeps on or near my head every night religiously. I think she remembers her very rough start in life and appreciates a soft spot to land. She was found under the hood of a running El Dorado a couple of years ago by my husband Jimmy. She had gotten caught up inside one of the belts somehow. Curiosity I suppose. Why she was in that car engine we'll never know. It wasn't to stay warm, it was a very warm summer morning. Coincidentally, the car was being driven to my husbands auto body shop. Coincidentally I say?! Of course she was saved and adopted and lives to tell the tale. On my count she has at least seven more lives. Shortly after her recovery and integration with my other cats, she somehow got her foot strung up by a shade string four feet off the floor. I found her dangling and screaming and flailing to get loose. It was a sight. I instinctively grabbed her (by the way, don't ever grab a dangling, screaming and flailing cat without a pillow or a towel or some body armour), the string untied itself and she then lovingly used my arm as a springboard digging her nails in my arm to get away.



After a calming down period for both of us, she came to me meek and appreciative. I recovered and so did she, after her hernia operation. She's never been aggressive with me ever. She is a love source, a healing source, an energy source and if you look at her really closely, you'll see her presence inside the vehicle we call a cat. I am very lucky to be embraced by her. Words cannot express what she does for me.























Animals on the whole are very, very curious to me. I can feel their mysteriousness. They are larger than we give them credit for. We think we are superior and have dominion over them. Perhaps. Perhaps we'll come to find out that they are much more than we ever imagined.




I had a visitor the other day. Probably just a bird warming herself next to a yard with four cats in it. She looked right at me and stayed next to me for over 30 minutes.



I took video and stills, walked around, talked to her...she just stood her ground curiously looking at me and my brood. I breathed her in and wished her well. Who knows, maybe one day she'll feed me bread and show me where the water is. I'll never take that for granted. We've so much to learn.








Not all of my creatures are peachy creamy. One of them is downright nasty. Well, maybe nasty is not the right word, perhaps she's just very moody. Maybe she's in this existence against her will. Maybe she needs a little more time, a little more space. Who knows? Cricket is altogether different.
She DEMANDS stuff. Whatever it is, she wants it and she wants it now. As for humans, her instructions are as follows: don't get too close - oh but please, don't go too far away. Don't feed her too much and don't feed her too little. Stay arms length away while petting her at the same time. Play with me, only me. Not the others, oh no, not them. Her instructions for them others: Get the f*&k away. Seriously.

I rescued Cricket and her sister Squeakie Rose from the pound. They were both in the same cage, so tiny and in need of help. Squeak put her paw through the cage in a come hither motion and I was hooked. I'm not sure what happened to them before they came home with me, but I would venture to say that someone was not very nice to them. In the beginning while still in survivor mode, they were nice to each other. As time progressed, they stopped recognizing each other as sisters or friends or allys. They started to compete for resources (me being one of them) and now they just stay away from each other or they fight.



Cricket is a loner in her nature. She's a cat on an island or at least she wishes she was. She growls and hisses. Deep down, I'm not sure what Cricket is, or more importantly, I'm not sure what Cricket thinks she is. I definitely get the feeling it's not a cat, but she doesn't mind the nails and the teeth. You decide...

















No comments: