Sunday, September 6, 2009

Interpret this . . .

If you've read some of my blog by now you know I dream vividly. I have experienced lucid dreaming and have even had bouts of sleep paralysis spanning over some twenty five years. It's all very intriguing especially as of late.

Of course I've had the dream where my arm slips out of the cumbersome and hard cast, and the ones where my arm isn't even broken only to wake up very disappointed. Truthfully, I'm just so grateful to be returning to a normal sleep pattern but the dream I had the other night...this one is worth mentioning.

It all starts out with me and my brother walking at night on a movie lot. He does stunt work for a living, so that was pretty normal but then off in the distance I see these huge lumber tractors with massive claws on the ends and they (at least two of them) are flinging huge logs up into the air and making a very chaotic and dangerous situation. At that point I decided not to go any further for fear that I would get hurt. Seriously hurt.

The next thing I see is a man smashing something over and over, still night time. I couldn't tell what he was destroying, but I could sense that whatever it was had some value. I got closer, close enough to see that he was smashing big, ceramic, African-tribal masks...CRASH! SMASH! BAM! One right after the other with no remorse or concern. Before I could say or do anything I see more people (two other men) standing behind the first one. They are smashing beautiful, clay pottery. Unbelievable waste and destruction! I could not contain myself and I began to scream and beg them to stop. 'STOP! PLEASE, I said, GIVE THEM TO ME! Don't break them!'

Then I'm home with some acquaintances, still night time. A few people are leaving and as I walk them out to the front, glass door I see that the door has a hole in it. The glass stayed in the door except for a hole the size of a doorknob, as if someone threw a rock or something. As I am digesting this random damage, my attention is being distracted by some people outside my big, bay windows on the front lawn.

I am unbelievably calm as I realize that they are here to commit a random act of violence against my home. I try to shoo them away but they aren't swayed when all at once, I get a full picture in my mind of what they are getting ready to do. They are going to blast out the windows in my house in one shot with these huge hooks attached to chains that they are attaching to the outside. I immediately leave the house to call 911 and go for cover. I remember at this point, I specifically say to myself 'Windows can be replaced, whatever damage they do, we will repair it. No one will get hurt and that's the most important thing. Things can be replaced, people can not."

I return to my house the next day in the morning light, and I am met by a female police officer taking statements. I see my house, windowless back in the distance. I am at peace. I am unharmed.

Dream ends. I wake up.

No comments: