Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Obviously Cricket did not want us to leave. Look at that face. It says it all.

But we did leave. We left and one of the first places we stumbled upon in Phoenix, AZ was Saint Mary's Basilica. It was gorgeous, old and so filled with the Holy Spirit I didn't want to leave. We had only been on our journey for a few days, yet I needed this more than I knew at the time.

BTW, I have been supporting the Franciscan Friars for as long as I could remember, and Pope John Paul....what can I say about him? I loved him. This was such a co-incidence. Hmmmmm.

Jim and I were inside for only a few minutes when we realized the congregation was celebrating Advent of course, as well as the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

I took some pictures inside the Basilica because I could, but you're not supposed to. I just couldn't resist.

We then drove from Phoenix to Sedona, a pretty long drive. We were only in Sedona for half a day and one night and then onto Nevada. Personally, I would've liked to have stayed in Sedona for a lot longer, but it was not meant to be. When I posed on this rock for a few minutes and closed my eyes - tears came so fast - but I held them in. Not sure what that was all about.

Sedona is a beautiful place. While we were there, it was extremely cold though. I would've preferred a warmer climate but at these elevations (2000 - 6000 feet above sea level) you never know what you'll get. It's hard to believe that these rocks were once below sea level. They tell quite a story.

The rocks below are known as 'red rocks' and the West is full of them. They are spectacular. These were closer to Vegas, from Sedona a 6+ hour drive through the desert.

And of course, it hadn't snowed since the 70's - but it snowed while we were there. The temp barely got above 50 on most days. I never took my uggs off my feet or my winter coat off my back.

Vegas is a lonely place at Christmas time, especially when the economy is dragging it's feet. It was cold and lonely and empty for the most part. Most people are staying away from frivolous expenditures as they should. We gambled a very little bit, and I'm happy to say we were up and then we broke even and then we stopped gambling all together. It's fun to try and win - but to force the issue just leaves moths in your billfold. Not good.



Jim and I learned a lot on this trip. We were reminded that we love to see the world and travel together. We learned that not everything is as it seems. You sometimes need to pull back some layers to get the whole picture. If you don't, you might find out some things that you'd rather not know.


Like what? Like travelling so close to Christmas is not a good idea. Like our friends got stranded in Vegas for two more days due to the weather. We got out just in time. Like don't travel across the West in the back seat of a rented car...get your own.


And karma, watch out for her. She exists and she's keeping a list and checking it twice. If you're on the naughty list, keep an eye out....she's coming to get you.

Thankfully, we're home now, all unpacked and exhausted from a two day mad rush for a Christmas tree and presents for family and friends.
Our hope is that our family and friends will be blessed with good health and good love - after all without your health and love, nothing else matters. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year!

3 comments:

Lisa Sargese said...

I love my cousins!!! Glad you had a karma-evolving, blessed, safe trip. I'm sure all your furry children are happy to have you home! I think I'll see you with the family tonight, yes? Can't wait for fish dinner!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. Hope Santa blessed you with everything on your wishlist.

Maria Lynn Gattuso said...

I did see you Lisa and we did have our traditional fish dinner and it was nice. Family is all that matters.

Mystic Sight, blessings and light my friend and thank you for your kind wishes. Santa did treat me rather fairly this year, I guess he thinks I've been good lol.