Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas, etc.

I neglected to post these pictures of St. Mary's Basilica in Phoenix. It was such a special place. It's important to see.
And, I almost forgot the next one too.

Remember the old confessionals? I call them old I guess because I don't see them very often any more. The don't build them like they used to. This one is ominous looking isn't it? Makes my knees shake just looking at it.
Flash Back - My First Confession

I can see the space in between Father O'Reilly's two front teeth behind the mesh grating that was supposed to protect my identity. Paaallleeeezze. If I can see him - he can see me!!! Besides, everyone saw me go in the confessional and everyone saw me come out. There would be no secrets. The jig was up and I had to tell the priest all my sins. I remember barely getting the words out. 'Bless me Father for I have sinned. This is my first confession. These are my sins. I fought with my sister, I didn't clean my room and once, I lied'. Gulp!

Father O'Reilly smiled and handed out the standard penance of five Hail Mary's and two Our Father's. Whew. Piece of cake. It would be a few years yet before I'd have to do hard time staying behind to dust pews and clean the convent. LOL!
Jim's parents Carmella and Jim Sr. are a lot of fun especially around Christmas time. (Jim's Dad looks a little like Santa in this picture - yeah, Mr. & Mrs. Kringle teeheehee).

For the past thirteen years Carmella has made a huge fish feast for the family on Christmas Eve and Jim Sr. hasn't missed a beat. On Christmas morning, he cooks a great prosciutto, egg, potato, bacon, sausage, toast, coffee and juice feast. He never cooks so this is special. I absolutely love the tradition. This year we had the added bonus of going to hear the men's choir at St. Lucy's Church in Newark. Jim's been threatening to sing with the choir and we think we saw his lips move once - but we're not sure. We thoroughly enjoyed midnight mass together. Who knows? Maybe a new family tradition is starting? As for the choir, I should've video taped some of it - but hey - it was late - we did have a little wine with the fish feast, I was lucky to get this shot with Jim's phone - the perspective is from the upstairs choir room. Pretty huh?

BTW, Jim's parents are still married - to each other. No really. They still live in the same house that Jimmy grew up in. I think they've been married for almost fifty years. That's incredible.

Then it was off to my Dad's for a little Christmas day celebration.

I don't remember laughing harder than when my brother Tony gave my Dad this jacket. My Dad absolutely loathed it! Check out the videos below. The lighting isn't that great, but they're hysterical.
Dad's Jacket Part I
Dad, you look so comfy in your new jacket. I bet as I type these words that jacket has already been returned and/or exchanged. Thank God for the video tape.
And, who is that guy sitting next to my husband? Oh yeah, brother-stunt-man Tony showed up with his new Madison dye-do! I'm not sure Tony, but I think we were thinking Madison dye-don't. Otherwise people might think you're under suspicion...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Which one is Toshie and which one is Buscie??

Okay, last video. Isn't it great making fun of your parents? Tony started it. Ha!


No comments: